For over 100 years, Ohio citizens have had the power to collect signatures and place an initiative on the ballot so voters can decide whether or not to amend our state constitution.
Now, a few Ohio politicians are trying to take that power away.
These same politicians are trying to bring back August elections (Ohio got rid of the August election last year, because they are expensive and wasteful).
We have to stop them.
NO HJR 1. NO HJR 2. NO August Elections.
In this document:
Contact these State Reps (phone calls are best, but any contact is important!):
- House Speaker Jason Stephens:
- Twitter: @jasoncstephens
- Email: email@example.com
- Cindy Abrams:
- Twitter: @AbramsforOhio
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don Jones:
- Twitter: @DonJonesOhio
- Email: email@example.com
- Jeff LaRe:
- Twitter: @realJeffLaRe
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jamie Callender:
- Twitter: @JamieCallender
- Email: email@example.com
- Gail Pavliga:
- Sharon Ray:
- Twitter: @sharonrayohio
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Haraz Ghanbari:
- Twitter: @HarazGhanbari
- Email: email@example.com
- Andrea White:
- Twitter: @AndreaWhite2020
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jay Edwards:
- Twitter: @JayEdwardsOhio
- Email: email@example.com
- Brett Hillyer:
- Twitter: @RepHillyer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gayle Manning:
- Twitter: @GayleManningOH
- Email: email@example.com
- Scott Oelslager:
- Twitter: @Scott_Oelslager
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tom Patton:
- Twitter: @TomPattonOH
- Email: email@example.com
- Bill Seitz:
- Twitter: @CincySeitz
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NO on HJR 1
- NO on SJR 2
- NO August elections
Arguments to make:
- There are literally hundreds of Ohio organizations opposing HJR 1, SJR 2, and August elections. Thousands of Ohio residents have called and emailed and testified and rallied against these bills. The entire campaign supporting the bills is funded by one Illinois billionaire. Tell each state rep: If they support Ohio and Ohio voters, they’ll help kill these bills.
- This is not a partisan issue. No one wants HJR 1 / HJR 2 to pass.
- HJR 1 and SJR 2 would take away the power of the people and give more power to big government. Ask each state rep: Do they support big government control, or do they stand with the people of Ohio?
- Legislators need to respect Ohioans’ freedom to have a say in their state government.
- Ohio’s Republican supermajority voted to get rid of August elections last year. They said August elections are expensive and wasteful. They said hardly anyone votes in August elections, which means a tiny minority of voters get to make big decisions. Isn’t all that still true now? Why would anyone bring back August elections?
- It would cost Ohio taxpayers $20 million to hold an August election this year. If politicians vote for any of these three bills/resolutions, they’re voting to take another $20 million from hardworking Ohioans.
Rally at the Statehouse Wednesday 5/10
- Join us at the Ohio Statehouse on Wednesday (5/10) to tell Ohio lawmakers NO HJR 1. NO HJR 2. NO August Elections.
- Gather at 12:30 pm at Trinity Episcopal Church, 125 E Broad St, Columbus, OH, 43215. More details / RSVP here
- Share this tweet or this tweet to spread the word!
- Share this graphic or this graphic to spread the word!
Resources / Learn More
- Bipartisan former Ohio governors against raising constitutional threshold to 60% and August vote
- Taft among former Ohio governors who say Ohioans should get to decide on abortion
- Letter from five former Attorneys General urges Ohio House, Senate to reject 60% constitutional-amendment threshold
- PAC backed by Illinois billionaire pushes for vote on making it harder to amend Ohio constitution
- Billionaire backing effort to raise Ohio amendment threshold funded election deniers, Jan. 6 rally
- Amid mass bipartisan protest, Ohio Senate passes resolution to make it harder to amend constitution (Now we need to stop these resolutions in the House)
- Photos: Ohio voters turn out to protest HJR 1 & SJR 2 at Statehouse in Columbus
- Why It Matters—HJR1 and SJR2 Background Information
- 227 Ohio-based Organizations Denied Opportunity to Voice Opposition of Minority Rule Bill
- HJR 1
- SJR 2
- SB 92 (bill to bring back August elections)
- Note: There is an identical version on SB 92 (HB 144) moving in the House:
Calls to Action